Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of vine in North Carolina

Thursday - November 11, 2010

From: Charlotte, NC
Title: Identification of vine in North Carolina

QUESTION:

How can I send a picture to you of a vine that I can't seem to identify?

ANSWER:

You can search for the identity of your vine yourself by doing a COMBINATION SEARCH in our Native Plants Database and selecting North Carolina from the Select State or Province option and 'Vine' from Habit (general appearance).   This search will give you a list of more than 70 vines native to North Carolina.  Most of these have photos for you to compare to your vine.  If they don't have photos on the species page (or if you want to see more photos of a particular plant) you can scroll down the species page to the ADDITIONAL RESOURCES area and click on the Google link to find more information about the plant.  If you click on 'Images' in the side bar or menu at the top of the Google page, you will find photos of the plant in question.

If you don't find your vine in our Native Plant Database, there is a very good chance that the vine is an introduced species.  In that case, you should visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to find several sources where you can submit a photo for identification.