Mr. Smarty Plants - Germination of Purple Clematis from Junction TX

Thursday - October 31, 2013

From: Junction, TX
Topic: Propagation, Seeds and Seeding, Vines
Title: Germination of Purple Clematis from Junction TX

QUESTION:

I have some Purple Leather Vine seeds I want to share and want help learning to germinate. Can anyone there help me find interested recipients?

ANSWER:

We are sorry, we are not a forum nor do we sponsor any user-to-user contacts. In fact, we specifically remove any address or name information from questions out of regard for privacy.

However, we can look for some propagation information on Clematis pitcheri (Purple clematis), which is in our Native Plant Database. In fact, if you follow that plant link to our webpage on this plant, you will find these propagation instructions:

"Propagation

Description: Plant seed outdoors in the fall or store and stratify before planting. Single, internodal, softwood cuttings taken in summer can be rooted. Clematis spp. are also propagated by late summer layerings.
Seed Collection: Gather seeds when they are no longer green but before the cluster of achenes completely dries and drops the seeds to the ground. Remain viable up to two years without refrigeration.
Seed Treatment: Moist stratify at 41 degrees for 60-90 days. Can take a long time to germinate.
Commercially Avail: yes"

The third picture (below) from our Image Gallery shows the fruit, or seeds, of this plant. As you can see from this USDA Plant Profile map, this plant does grow natively in the vicinity of Kimble County, TX, but you should read these growing conditions, also from the webpage, to make sure you have the correct amount of sunshine and proper soils.

"Growing Conditions

Water Use: Medium
Light Requirement: Sun , Part Shade
Soil Moisture: Moist
Soil Description: Moist, well-drained soils. Limestone-based, Sandy, Sandy Loam, Medium Loam, Clay Loam, Clay
Conditions Comments: Thick, succulent, urn-shaped petals (which are really sepals) give purple leatherflower its name. The seeds have fluffy tails radiating out like a starburst. Stems of purple leatherflower are brittle and should be supported or tied to a trellis. The interesting flowers of Clematis pitcheri are long lasting. The plant is fairly heat and drought-tolerant. It dies to the ground in fall."

If you are in doubt about stratification, here is an article on that subject from Wildones.org. 

Purple clematis
Clematis pitcheri

Purple clematis
Clematis pitcheri

Purple clematis
Clematis pitcheri