Sunday - April 04, 2010

From: Round Rock, TX
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

Just blooming out here in the Austin metro is a square-budded yellow 'daisy' with puffy center. Very like a Huisache Daisy, but the margins aren't so toothed. It's VERY common in the Austin greenspaces (today's spotted along the Brushy Creek trail)(and, no, NOT a coreopsis). I could probably send you my picture and you'd say, "Oh, that's.." but there are SO MANY yellow composites that I'm at the point of labeling it: just another yellow composite. But they're so common here, I'd like to know what they are, really. Thanks!

ANSWER:

Well, there is Tetraneuris scaposa (stemmy four-nerve daisy); but, as you say, there are SO MANY yellow composites—so why don't you send us photos.  Please visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read the instructions for submitting photos.  Please be sure you include close ups of leaves and stem, and a photo of the entire plant, as well as close ups of the blooms.