Mr. Smarty Plants - What is gelatinous plant in a Missouri lake

Friday - July 25, 2008

From: ST. Joseph, MO
Title: What is gelatinous plant in a Missouri lake

QUESTION:

Q what is gel like plant floating in lake looks like a bag filled with green living plant and is see thru and has red. when touched feels like piece of fat but seems to be living in water. Missouri

ANSWER:

Well, we have several possibilities here—it could be a plant (algae) or it could be insects eggs, fish eggs, amphibian (frog, toad, salamander) eggs, bryozoans, freshwater jellyfish, or freshwater sponges. Here is a site from the University of Maine with photos and information about all of these. Here are, also, an Algae Photo Library, a Fish Eggs Stock Photos and Images site, an Amphibian Egg Identification Page, Bryozoans site, Freshwater Jellyfish page, and Freshwater Sponges. Mr. Smarty Plants hopes you will be able to find your "critter" in one of these.