Sunday - April 04, 2010

From: Tyler, TX
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

There's a wildflower growing on my patio its leaves look like the leaves of a lute leaf sage, it has a flower stalk with yellow flowers. The stalk is about a one foot high. What is the name of it?

ANSWER:

In general, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to identify a plant by a description alone.  There is one flower that comes to mind from your description, however.  This is Packera obovata (roundleaf ragwort).  It has yellow flowers on a stalk that is about 1 foot tall and its leaves resemble somewhat those of Salvia lyrata (lyreleaf sage).  If, however, this is not the plant on your patio, please take photos and send them to us and we will do our best to identify your plant.  Please visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page and carefully follow the instructions there for submitting photos.