From: Houston, TX
Title: Identification of plant with long skinny stems and red flowers

QUESTION:

I keep seeing around this very pretty plant that has long skinny stems and bright red flowers that are tube like and skinny too. I would love to get this plant but do not know what it is called.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants is going to give you several possibilities. If it isn't one of the ones suggested, perhaps you can find the plant(s) and take a photo to send us to identify. You can learn how to submit photos for identification by reading the instructions under "Plant Identification" in the lower righthand corner of the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page.

Here are some possibilities for your plant:

Hesperaloe parviflora (redflower false yucca)

Stachys coccinea (scarlet hedgenettle)

Salvia coccinea (blood sage)

Salvia greggii (autumn sage)

Salvia roemeriana (cedar sage)

Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii (flame acanthus)

Aquilegia canadensis (red columbine)