En Espa—ol

Monday - January 04, 2010

From: Pasadena, CA
Topic: Groundcovers
Title: Groundcover for parking strip in Pasadena, California

Can you suggest a low growing, low maintenance plant which will spread to cover parking strip in Pasadena, California? Thank you.

Here are some groundcovers that are native to the Pasadena area.  Since I don't know whether the strip is shaded or in full sun, I have included plants for either situation.  You should read the other characteristics and growing conditions as well to determine if they match your site.

Clinopodium douglasii [syn. Satureja douglasii, Satureja chamissonis](yerba buena), part shade. Here are photos.

Symphoricarpos mollis (creeping snowberry) grows best in part shade or shade.  Here is more information.

Encelia farinosa (brittlebush) full sun.  Here is more information.

Eriogonum fasciculatum (Eastern Mojave buckwheat) full sun.

Oenothera californica (California primrose) full sun.  Here are more photos.

Corethrogyne filaginifolia (California aster) full sun.  Here are more photos.

Artemisia californica (coastal sagebrush) full sun.

Heuchera maxima (Jill of the rocks) shade.

Mahonia repens (creeping barberry) part shade.

Epilobium canum ssp. canum (hummingbird trumpet) sun, part shade.  Here is more information.

Here are photos of some of the plants above from our Image Gallery:

Symphoricarpos mollis

Encelia farinosa

Eriogonum fasciculatum

Artemisia californica

Heuchera maxima

Mahonia repens

Epilobium canum ssp. canum