Tuesday - March 19, 2013

From: Temple, TX
Topic: Wildflower Center, Groundcovers, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Source for silver ponyfoot from Temple TX

Where can I purchase dichondra argentea -- I live in Bell Co. but am willing to come to Austin if need be. Thank you.

Dichondra argentea (Silver ponyfoot) is on the plant list for our Spring Plant Sale. It usually sells very well, because it is such an attractive ground cover. However, you should be able to purchase it without traveling to Austin, although we would love to have you and we think you would enjoy the trip (and find lots of other plants, too). According to this USDA Plant Profile Map, it is not native to either Bell or Travis County, but we know it can grow there.

If you want to at least try to avoid the trip, go to our National Suppliers Directory. Put your town and state or just your zipcode in the "Enter Search Location" box and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed companies and consultants in your general area. They all have contact information so you can find out if they have what you are looking for before you go. You may very well find that Travis County (where the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is) actually is the closest place, as Bell County is only separated from Travis County by Williamson County.

Silver ponyfoot
Dichondra argentea

Silver ponyfoot
Dichondra argentea

Silver ponyfoot
Dichondra argentea