En EspaÑol

Sunday - June 01, 2014

From: Titusville , FL
Topic: Poisonous Plants, Groundcovers, Shade Tolerant, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Is Phyla lanceolata (frogfruit) poisonous to dogs fromTitusville FL?

QUESTION:

Is Phyla lanceolata, also called Fogfruit, Lanceleaf Fogfruit, or Northern Fogfruit, toxic to dogs? We have it growing amongst our grass. I can't find it on any toxic plant list.

ANSWER:

When we looked at previous Mr. Smarty Plants questions on plants poisonous to dogs, there were 109 of them. We can tell you that virtually every one of them would reference you to the ASPCA List of Toxic Plants for Dogs. You can also follow this link, Phyla lanceolata (Lanceleaf frogfruit) to our webpage on that plant. Our webpages always try to make mention of any poisonous characteristics of the plant; there is none on that webpage. Generally, if you look at poisonous plant lists and don't find the plant, it's because it is not poisonous.

You probably see Phyla lanceolata (Lanceleaf frogfruit) in your grass because it is frequently chosen as a shade tolerant ground cover and spreads easily.

Lanceleaf frogfruit
Phyla lanceolata

Lanceleaf frogfruit
Phyla lanceolata