Mr. Smarty Plants - Replacing firs with smaller plants

Thursday - October 22, 2009

From: Oak Hill, OH
Title: Replacing firs with smaller plants

QUESTION:

I want to pull out old fir bushes and plant smaller plants in their place. What could I buy that would take little care in my area?

ANSWER:

In order to properly answer your question, we need more information.  What kind of firs are they?  How big are they?  Where are they planted ... sun, shade, wet or dry conditions?  Are they foundation plants or overgrown shrubs in a border? You also do not mention if it is imperative that they be evergreen.

By doing a Recommended Species search on our Native Plant Information Network you will be able to select the plants yourself.  A reputable nursery in your area would also be happy to assist you.  There are a few nurseries in Ohio who are Associates of the Wildflower Center and will be able to provide more appropriate plants for your project than the "Big Box" nurseries.