En Espa—ol

Friday - October 23, 2009

Title: Plant identification and seed source
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

We drove to Fredricksburg this Saturday the 17th and beginning at about Dripping Springs there is a very showy bright yellow wildflower that is so pretty. It probably is about 2' tall. Would love to know the name and where I can get some seed. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Our wildflower ID expert, Joe Marcus, happened to be driving that route only yesterday and he saw a very showy display of Verbesina encelioides (golden crownbeard or cowpen daisy) so we feel pretty certain that is what you saw. You can find seeds for sale from Native American Seed in Junction.

There are a couple of other possibilities if that doesn't look like the plant you saw:

1. Helianthus maximiliani (Maximilian sunflower) also has seed available from Native American Seed.

2. One of the goldenrod species such as Solidago nemoralis (gray goldenrod) with seeds available from Native American Seed.

Verbesina encelioides

Verbesina encelioides

Verbesina encelioides

Verbesina encelioides

Helianthus maximiliani

Helianthus maximiliani

Solidago nemoralis

Solidago nemoralis