Friday - October 31, 2003

From: San Marcos, TX
Title: Sources of native grasses and forbs seeds for Hidalgo and Maverick Cos.
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

I work for TPWD and am working with some irrigation districts in South Texas, trying to get them to plant native grasses and forbs in their ROWs rather than exotic grasses recommended by TxDOT. Can you recommend a seed mix for Hidalgo and Maverick Counties? Also, if you have propagation recommendations or know of a good place for them to obtain the seeds that would be helpful, as well.

Try the good folks at Native American Seed. They provide invaluable information, and can also provide recommendations to suit your needs. Their number is (800) 728-4043. You can also try our online search service for nursery and seed suppliers from our Native Plant Information Network in the National Suppliers Directory.