Tuesday - October 06, 2009

From: Lufkin, TX
Title: Winter wildflower blooming in East Texas in the winter

QUESTION:

Is there a wildflower that will grow/bloom in east texas during the winter that can be tilled into garden in springtime. We put rye and red clover but were interested in getting some color/variety to garden over the winter

ANSWER:

Well, Mr. Smarty Plants knows of a few wildflowers that bloom off and on nearly all year long (e.g., Taraxacum officinale (common dandelion)) but none whose prime time for blooming is in the wintertime.  In your area  Oenothera speciosa (pinkladies) can begin blooming as early as February and bloom into July,  Solidago altissima (late goldenrod) and Solidago tortifolia (twistleaf goldenrod) both bloom into November, Thelesperma filifolium var. filifolium (stiff greenthread) can be found blooming in your area February through December; but there isn't any wildflower that predictably will bloom the entire winter season—December through February.  Your best bet is to sow your spring wildflower seeds after you have plowed under your red clover and rye to produce a spectacular spring show.