Mr. Smarty Plants - Alternative names for Aquilegia Sanguinaria

From: Akron, OH
Title: Alternative names for Aquilegia Sanguinaria
Answered by: Dean Garrett

QUESTION:

I am looking for the common name for a flower called Aquilegia Sanguinaria. Can you help? Does this even exist?

ANSWER:

Aquilegia is the genus name for columbine, but the International Plant Names Index lists no Aquilegia sanguinaria species.

Was the name on a label identifying a plant with red flowers? Since “sanguinaria” can indicate the color red (as for Bloodroot, Sanguinaria canadensis), it might have been a mistaken naming of one of the following red-flowered columbines, all North American natives:

Eastern Red Columbine (Aquilegia canadensis)
Western Red Columbine (Aquilegia elegantula)
Crimson Columbine (Aquilegia formosa)