Mr. Smarty Plants - Evergreen shrub for screen in Bellville, Texas

Saturday - October 03, 2009

From: Bellville, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Evergreen shrub for screen in Bellville, Texas

QUESTION:

Would you please recommend a dense evergreen for a living screen in Bellville, TX (Austin County) that will receive full sun? Fast growing and a minimum height of 8' are preferred.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants can offer recommendations for several evergreen shrubs of the size you want, but unfortunately none of them are fast-growing.  There are a couple with a medium (or moderate) growth rate and a couple listed as slow-growers.  

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon) has a moderate growth rate.

Condalia hookeri (Brazilian bluewood) has a moderate growth rate.  Here is more information.

Ebenopsis ebano (Texas ebony) meets your criteria, except that it is not fast-growing.  Here is more information

Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain-laurel) unfortunately is noted as slow-growing. 

You could also consider Juniperus virginiana (eastern redcedar).  It can grow to 30 or 40 feet, or even more, but can also be shaped into a hedge of your desired height.

Condalia hookeri

Ebenopsis ebano

Sophora secundiflora

Juniperus virginiana