Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification for Louisiana

Saturday - September 12, 2009

From: Natchitoches, LA
Title: Plant identification for Louisiana

QUESTION:

Trying to identify a "fruit bearing" plant around Natchitoches, Louisiana. Grows about waist high to average man, slightly elongated green leaf, bearing small green "fruit" or "berry", with paper thin, veiny skin. Grows wild, bushy, deer seem to be attracted to it.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks this sounds like a species of Physalis.  Here are some that are of sufficient height and are native to Louisiana:

Physalis angulata (cutleaf groundcherry) grows to about 3 feet and here are more photos and information.

Physalis heterophylla (clammy groundcherry) grows to 1.5 to 2.5 feet and here are more photos and information.

Physalis pubescens (husk tomato) grows to 2.5 feet and here are more photos and information.

Physalis virginiana (Virginia groundcherry) grows to 3 feet and here are more photos and information.

If none of these is the plant you have seen, please send us photos and we will do our best to identify your plant.  Please visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page for instructions on submitting photos.

Physalis angulata

Physalis heterophylla

Physalis pubescens

Physalis virginiana