Mr. Smarty Plants - What is it?

Thursday - May 29, 2008

From: Rio Vista , CA
Title: What is it?

QUESTION:

We have two bushes about three ft. high that have narrow leaves that are about one to two inches long and glossy green on top side with soft green on back. They are fairly close together on stems with the bushy blossoms grouped at end. The blossoms are about the length of the leaves and are made up of dozens and dozens of tiny trumpet shaped blooms that fade from light lavender to purple. What is it? Thank you

ANSWER:

Especially since you are in California, where there is such incredible plant diversity, we can't even hazard a guess on this one, but we'd love to know what it is, too. Please go to the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page and, in the lower right-hand corner under "Plant Identification," there are instructions for e-mailing us a picture.