Sunday - June 14, 2009

From: Royse City, TX
Title: Wind damage to pecan tree in Royse City, TX

The wind broke my pecan tree trunk in two. It is approximately 2 in caliper and about 15 feet tall. Is there a tree trunk repair?

Oh, gee, don't we all wish? Sadly, your tree is a lost cause. So much damage will have been done to the structure of the tree and it's doubtful you would even have success re-growing from the roots. The roots might put up suckers, but it would take a long time for one to mature to the size you had, and it still might not be successful. We suggest you remove the dead wood, including the root, before insects or fungi take the opportunity to move in, possibly going on to infect other healthy plants in your garden.