Mr. Smarty Plants - Problem with Arizona Ash in Leander TX

Thursday - March 10, 2011

From: Leander, TX
Topic: Transplants, Trees
Title: Problem with Arizona Ash in Leander TX

QUESTION:

What would make my otherwise healthy Arizona Ash tree, that was doing so well last year, only bud out on just one side?

ANSWER:

What can be wrong with your  Fraxinus velutina (Arizona ash)? Let me count the ways. Here are article from several sources on the things that can happen to an Arizona Ash:

Texas A&M Aggie Horticulture Arizona Ash

Howard Garrett "The Dirt Doctor" Pest and Disease Control Forum

Ohio State University Ash Borers

Since we don't know when nor how your tree was planted, we would also add the possibility of transplant shock, which often occurs when a woody plant is planted during hot weather, put into clay soil with no amendments to improve drainage, or damaged and even root-bound in the nursery or during transplant. If it's an old, well-established tree it may be nearing the end of its lifespan; ashes are fast growing, short-lived trees that are susceptible to many pests and diseases. You could have a trained and certified arborist look at it and make recommendations, or contact the County Extension Office for either Travis or Williamson County.