Monday - April 12, 2010

Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Pruning, Trees
Title: Can Live Oak suckers be mowed during Oak Wilt spread season in Austin?

QUESTION:

I live in South Austin, not too far from the Wildflower Center. I have a Live Oak in my yard with a substantial amount of sucker growth from the roots. Can I mow them freely throughout the year, or do I need to practice pruning guidelines suggested for the control of Oak Wilt?

ANSWER:

From a previous (and recent) answer:

"Short answer: No.

However small the open area in the bark would be after you nipped off the suckers, that would be enough to attract the nitidulid beetle, the little monster which is the carrier of Oak Wilt Disease. From an article in the San Antonio Express News, here is an article on Preventing Oak Wilt by Lynn Rawe, Extension Agent-Horticulture, Bexar County. Also, read this article from the Texas Oak Wilt Parnership.

The best time to prune the Live Oak is between December 1 and February 1. The worst time is between February 15 and June 15."