Mr. Smarty Plants - Pine trees for West Virginia

Sunday - August 16, 2009

From: Arlington, VA
Title: Pine trees for West Virginia

QUESTION:

I have two acres in the Canaan Valley, West Va. and would like to plant pine trees. What type would you recommend that the deers won't eat and the cold climate won't kill.

ANSWER:

There are seven species of pines native to West Virginia and all of them either occur in Tucker County or in a county adjacent to it.  All pines are somewhat resistant to deer and all except the first two on the list are also named on deer resistant lists.  All of these species can withstand cold temperatures that occur in West Virginia since they are native to the area, plus most of them also occur in states and provinces north of your state.

Pinus banksiana (jack pine) and here are photos and more information from Virginia Tech and the US Forest Service.

Pinus pungens (Table Mountain pine) and here are photos and more information from Virginia Tech and the US Forest Service.

Pinus rigida (pitch pine) is deer resistant according to TreeNames.net and the Delaware Fish and Wildlife Department.  Here are photos and more information from the University of Connecticut and the US Forest Service.

Pinus strobus (eastern white pine) is deer resistant according to TreeNames.net.  Here is information from the US Forest Service.

Pinus virginiana (Virginia pine) is deer resistant according to the Delaware Fish and Wildlife Department.  Here is information from the US Forest Service.

Pinus echinata (shortleaf pine) is deer resistant according to the Delaware Fish and Wildlife Department.  Here is information from the US Forest Service.

Pinus resinosa (red pine) is deer resistant according to is deer resistant according to TreeNames.net and Twombly Nursery in Monroe, Connecticut.  Here are more photos and information from the University of Connecticut and the US Forest Service.

Pinus strobus

Pinus virginiana

Pinus echinata