Mr. Smarty Plants - Host plants for American Painted Lady larvae in Ohio

Thursday - June 25, 2009

From: Vermilion, OH
Topic: Wildlife Gardens
Title: Host plants for American Painted Lady larvae in Ohio
Answered by: Jackie OKeefe

QUESTION:

Need to know what plants to plant as host plants for American Painted lady butterflies have larve coming in mail in few days , live in Vermilion Ohio on the Lake Erie. Thank You for your knowledge Patty .

ANSWER:

Here are links to two web site that have extensive information about the American Painted Lady butterfly (Vanessa virginiensis):

BAMONA

ZipCodeZoo

Below is a link to advice for Ohio butterfly gardening, with links to other info sources:

Ohio State University Extension Service fact sheet

A previous question was posed – for the Houston, TX area – on Mr. Smarty Plants. The information looks like it would be of interest. Although the title says "Painted Lady", the answer given refers to American Painted Lady butterfly (Vanessa virginiensis):

Native host plants for Painted Lady butterfly

Native host plants for the caterpillars include:

Anaphalis margaritacea (western pearly everlasting)

Antennaria plantaginifolia (woman's tobacco)

Vernonia fasciculata (prairie ironweed)

Anaphalis margaritacea

Anaphalis margaritacea

Antennaria plantaginifolia

Antennaria plantaginifolia

Vernonia fasciculata

Vernonia fasciculata