From: Katy, TX
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Native plants for border in Katy, TX

QUESTION:

I live in Katy, TX. I am looking for a native plant for front of the border edging (approx 10 inches).

ANSWER:

We assume you're looking for a perennial, low-growing plant, perhaps a blooming plant. You didn't say if you had sun (more than 6 hours of sun a day), part shade (2 to 6 hours of sun) or shade (less than 2 hours of sun). So, we will make some suggestions, and include the growing conditions they need and you can go from there. Because at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, we are committed to the use, care and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown, we will go to Recommended Species, click on East Texas, and search on "herbs" (herbaceous blooming plants) under Habit, and "perennial" under duration. You can use the same technique to find other plants that suit your purposes better.

Callirhoe involucrata (purple poppymallow) - evergreen to 12 inches tall, blooms white, pink, purple March to June, medium water use, sun or part shade

Glandularia bipinnatifida (Dakota mock vervain) - deciduous to 12 inches tall, blooms purple, violet March to October, medium water use, part shade

Oenothera speciosa (pinkladies) - semi-evergreen to 18 inches tall, blooms white, pink February to July, medium water use, sun

Phlox divaricata (wild blue phlox) - evergreen, to 18 inches tall, blooms white, red, pink, purple March to May, medium water use, part shade or shade

Phlox pilosa (downy phlox) - to 18 inches tall, blooms white, pink, purple March to May, low water use, sun or part shade

Callirhoe involucrata

Glandularia bipinnatifida

Oenothera speciosa

Phlox divaricata

Phlox pilosa