En Espa—ol

Saturday - March 21, 2009

From: Ft Worth, TX
Topic: Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs
Title: Plant for full sun behind waterfall

QUESTION:

I have a 24 inch waterfall around my pool. I need to plant something behind it. I have full sun and hot Texas weather. I will be watering everyday, so what do you think would grow well in this area?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants isn't quite sure how big the area is and what size/type plant you are looking for and so here are suggestions for small trees, shrubbery (large and small) and herbaceous plants.

Amorpha fruticosa (desert false indigo)

Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii (Flame acanthus)

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed)

Conoclinium coelestinum (blue mistflower)

Hibiscus laevis (halberdleaf rosemallow)

Lonicera albiflora (western white honeysuckle)

Lobelia cardinalis (cardinalflower)

Prunus mexicana (Mexican plum)

You can look at other possibilities by choosing 'North Central Texas' from the map or the pulldown menu on the Recommended Species page.  You can NARROW YOUR SEARCH by making selections under the various categories, e.g., "Habit (general appearance)", "Light requirement", etc.

Amorpha fruticosa

Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii

Conoclinium coelestinum

Hibiscus laevis

Lonicera albiflora

Lobelia cardinalis

Prunus mexicana