A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Fort Worth, TX
Response to previous answer from Ft. Worth TX
What email can I respond to Barbara Medford QUESTION:

Fort Worth, TX
Xeriscaping in clay on a slope in Fort Worth
Xeriscaping in clay (Fort Worth) on a slope -- Please offer suggestions and publications. Thanks

Fort Worth, TX
Plant Identification
Curious about the identification of the foxglove-looking plants flowering along the railroad tracks that parallel Lancaster in Handley. Some are white while others are purple. Leaves are about 2-3 inc...

Fort Worth, TX
Grapevine for pot in Ft. Worth
Can I plant a grapevine in a large clay pot in Fort Worth, Texas?

Fort Worth, TX
Shrub to hide chain link fence
Mr. Smarty Plants, Please recommend a tall, thick shrub to conceal the 6 foot chain link fence around the perimeter of our property. The fence is located down a hill from our home with western exposur...

Fort Worth, TX
A garlic plant with only one clove in Ft. Worth, TX?
Is there a garlic that does not have cloves? I have been using what appears to be garlic from my garden and it is garlicy, hot and delicious. I have spent many hours online but cannot find this garlic...

Fort Worth, TX
Nurseries that Sell Perennial Native Plants in Fort Worth,TX
Where can I locate a nursery or nurseries with the best selection of perennial native plants in Fort Worth?

Fort Worth, TX
Need source for garlic to plant in garden in Fort Worth, TX.
Where can I get or purchase a native Texas garlic to plant in my garden?

Fort Worth, TX
Will non-native poisonous oleander grow through non-native invasive bermudagrass in Ft. Worth?
I was wondering if you knew which flowering plants would grow through grass. I have bermuda, have tried raised beds but due to uneven yard with lots of rock it would be too expensive to do properly. ...

Fort Worth, TX
White spotting on prickly pear cactus
Hello- I have large prickly pear cacti and just noticed large white spotting on some of the leaves. I also see some black bugs and apparently they are the problem.They are about 1/4" long. How can I ...

Fort Worth, TX
Hello Mr. Smarty Plants! I have a plant that was given to me and told it was spider plant, but I don't believe it is. The plat grows up and has leaves coming out like a spider plant but they are gree...

Fort Worth, TX
Will a Texas Mountain Laurel thrive in a 4'x4'x4' brick planter. pl
Would a Texas Mountain Laurel thrive in a 4'x4'x4'x4' brick planter with a drain at the bottom? It will get full sun all day. If not, would a Green Cloud Sage or a Waxleaf Myrtle work? Thanks!

Fort Worth, TX
Every plant in Texas
Do you know every plant in Texas? Alexis

Fort Worth, TX
Acid rain in Ft. Worth?
ALERT. NEED IMMEDIATE ATTENTION. Why are so many trees, plants, etc. in the Fort Worth area dying?? I heard acid rain. Please don't say drought. I have lived in this area all my life and survived t...

Fort Worth, TX
Plant identification of tree with white blossoms in Fort Worth
Live in Fort Worth, TX. Any idea what are trees blooming this week (3/18), with white blossoms and an oval green leaf about the size of a half dollar? The bark looks like an oak.

Fort Worth, TX
Conflict between non-native and invasive St. Augustine and Bermuda grasses
Mr. Smarty Plants, My neighbor and I have nice front lawns but his is St. Augustine and mine is Bermuda. Between our houses the two lawns meet and it is a constant battle to keep his St. Augustine...

Fort Worth, TX
Native shrubs or ground cover for north-facing landscape in Ft. Worth
Need native plant ideas for a landscaping bed against the house facing north. Already has 1 Beautyberry but two others died of root rot last year due to incredibly high water table in our area. Old ...

Fort Worth, TX
Plants for under pine in Ft. Worth
My front yard, in Fort Worth, faces north. There is a large shade-giving pine tree in the middle. I am looking at options for what spreading groundcover varieties to plant underneath this rather large...

fort worth, TX
Should wax myrtles (Morella cerifera) be pruned?
We planted Wax Myrtles in our backyard as a wall for privacy from the lot behind ours. Should we prune or cut back the tops periodically to get more fully developed bushes or let them grow naturally?

Fort Worth, TX
Darkened leaves on blueberry bush
I have a blueberry bush planted in a very large pot. It has been doing very well, producing berries and new growth. All of a sudden the leaves have begun to turn dark. I have it potted in good soil...

Fort Worth, TX
Failure to bloom of coreopsis
Hi, 2 things..asked a question last yr re: scuttelaria (sp)-purple etc..you could not locate. Finally did at High Country Gardens in NM. Now a new question: Cannot get my coreopsis to bloom.. Have di...