A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Ft Worth, TX
Tree roots under concrete from Ft. Worth TX
We bought a house that has 2 trees (I believe ornamental pear trees) within a concrete patio. I found info that said basically, remove the concrete. We can't do that now (although I have encouraged...

Ft Worth, TX
Transplanting hackberry trees in Texas
I live N of Ft Worth,Tx is there a trick to digging up & transplanting hackberry trees?

Ft Worth, TX
Plant for full sun behind waterfall
I have a 24 inch waterfall around my pool. I need to plant something behind it. I have full sun and hot Texas weather. I will be watering everyday, so what do you think would grow well in this area?

Ft. Worth, TX
Dwarf Yaupon Holly Cultivar Heights
What is the largest of the dwarf yaupons?

Fort Worth, TX
Tall privacy hedge in Fort Worth, Texas
I need a fast growing plant that reaches a height of 14 to 16 feet suitable as a privacy hedge. Prefer minimal maintenance and disease resistant. I have a 3 story condo being built behind my home in...

Fort Worth, TX
The flower on the Plant Price page of Wildflower Center website
What is the name of the flower that is on the Plant Price page of the Center's web site? I saw it for the first time this spring near Weatherford. It's red/orange & white and resembles a snapdrago...

Fort Worth, TX
Edibility of Rumex hastatulus (heartwing sorrel)
My mother and aunt, who are in their 80s, tell stories of eating a plant, when they were girls in North Central Texas. They call the plant "sheep shire". My mother says that it is a flat weed, that...

Fort Worth, TX
Yaupon hollies dying mysteriously
I have a row of yaupon hollies (Ilex vomitoria) that I keep trimmed like a hedge. They were all healthy for many years. Two years ago one of them died and I removed it, leaving a gap in the line of h...

Fort Worth, TX
Drought resistant small tree for Ft. Worth TX
I am looking for suggestions for a small tree (no more than 25 feet max)that is drought resistant but can handle a little irrigation and a lot of wind. Something showy is a plus. Grouped with salvias ...

Fort Worth, TX
Shrubs for a barrier in Ft. Worth TX
Hello, I'm looking for a natural barrier as an alternative to a fence in my backyard. I see several other questions answered relating to this but I'm looking for something specifically as a nativ...

Fort Worth, TX
Firecracker plants not growing in Ft. Worth
I live in Fort Worth, TX and last fall planted several firecracker plants. It's now June and they're not growing. How can I tell if they are still alive?

Fort Worth, TX
Hackberry stripped by Cedar Waxwings or American Goldfinches
I live in Fort Worth. My one and only tree in the backyard is a 23 year old hackberry. While not infested with gall or weevils, we have been invaded this past few weeks by hordes of small, chubby, yel...

Fort Worth, TX
Is scarlet buckeye (Aesculus pavia) poisonous?
Is a scarlet buckeye poisonous? Anna

Fort Worth, TX
Is it illegal in Texas to pick bluebonnets? No.
Is it illegal in Texas to pick a bluebonnet?

Fort Worth, TX
Identity of maroon flower taking over bluebonnets
there is a maroon colored flowering weed at my ranch in Oakwood Texas. It is taking over the bluebonnets and indian paint brushes. Can you tell me what it is and how to get rid of it.

Fort Worth, TX
Every plant in Texas
Do you know every plant in Texas? Alexis

Ft. Worth, TX
Edibility of bur oak (Quercus macrocarpa) acorns
Is the acorn of the Bur Oak edible?

Fort worth, TX
Pride of Barbados seed for Ft. Worth TX
When can you plant the Pride of Barbados plant seeds and how to go about it in Fort Worth Texas?

Fort Worth, TX
Will a Venus flytrap bite?
Will a venus flytrap bite a person? Taylor

Fort Worth, TX
I had a strange plant pop up in my yard this year, and I figured maybe you guys could help me out. This plant is spreading along the ground, and the stem is woody right where it is coming out of th...

Fort Worth, TX
Possible reasons for yellow heads for Indian Blanket
I had Indian Blanket flowers that had almost pure yellow heads. Will the seeds of these flowers produce plants that will have yellow flowers?