Saturday - March 14, 2009

From: San Antonio, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Shrub to screen backyard and block noise

I'm trying to find a shrub to screen my backyard and block noise. I want something I can plant along the 60ft of my back fence that would get between 8 and 10 ft tall. I would like something that attracts birds and/or butterflies, but I don't want anything that drops a lot of berries or other mess. The yard is covered by several big oak trees, so these would be in partial shade. Any suggestions?

My guess is that you would like an evergreen and all of the following are evergreens that are found in or near Bexar County.

Condalia hookeri (Brazilian bluewood) a small evergreen tree.  Here is more information from Texas A&M Horticulture, more photos and still more info and photos.

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle). There are dwarf varieties of this shrub for sale.  You should be certain that you are getting ones that aren't the dwarf variety.

Ebenopsis ebano (Texas ebony).  You may or may not have enough sun for this one to do well, but it does make a very effective hedge.  Here is  more information and still more from University of Arizona.

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon) has red fruits that attract birds and are not messy.

Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain-laurel) has beautiful spring blossoms.

You could also use Juniperus virginiana (eastern redcedar).  It is a tree, but can be pruned to form a hedge.

Condalia hookeri

Ebenopsis ebano

Sophora secundiflora

Juniperus virginiana