Friday - February 13, 2009

From: Schertz, TX
Title: Native plants for sale end of April in Schertz TX

QUESTION:

I am trying to raise some native plants for a fund-raiser .They need to be salable by the end of April. Something with flowers would be nice. Any suggestions?

ANSWER:

It may be a little late to start on your project. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center has a plant sale the second weekend in mid-April, and our Plant Nursery has been busy all winter seeding and taking cuttings, progressing the plants from the greenhouse to the sheltered yard to the sun yard. In Texas, most plants grown from seed are planted in the Fall to benefit from Fall rains (when we have any) and cold temperatures to help the seeds break dormancy and begin germination.

About the best we can suggest is that you inspect your own garden and perhaps those of generous friends for perennials that clump and can be divided and potted up. This is a good time to do that anyway. Whether they will be blooming by the time of your sale is not something we can determine. We are going to go to our Recommended Species section, click on Central Texas on the map, NARROW YOUR SEARCH, and select "Herbs" (herbaceous blooming plants) under Habit and "Perennial" under Duration. Then we'll take a look at the Propagation Instructions on the webpage on each individual plant, and select some of our favorites that can be propagated by division. You will need to get them potted up quickly in good potting soil and give them sun and water appropriate to their needs. Those requirements are also listed on the individual pages. Here is an article from Ezine@rticles on Plant Propagation by Division which will help you decide what plants you can divide and how to care for them. 

PLANTS FOR DIVISION IN CENTRAL TEXAS

Asclepias asperula (spider milkweed)

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed)

Conoclinium coelestinum (blue mistflower)

Coreopsis lanceolata (lanceleaf tickseed)

Echinacea purpurea (eastern purple coneflower)

Engelmannia peristenia (Engelmann's daisy)

Melampodium leucanthum (plains blackfoot)

Monarda fistulosa (wild bergamot)

Salvia engelmannii (Engelmann's sage)

Salvia farinacea (mealycup sage)

Salvia roemeriana (cedar sage)

Tetraneuris scaposa var. scaposa (stemmy four-nerve daisy)

Asclepias asperula

Conoclinium coelestinum

Coreopsis lanceolata

Echinacea purpurea

Engelmannia peristenia

Melampodium leucanthum

Monarda fistulosa

Salvia engelmannii

Salvia farinacea

Salvia roemeriana

Tetraneuris scaposa var. scaposa