En EspaÑol

Sunday - April 18, 2010

From: Lansing, MI
Title: Propagation of Jack in the Pulpit in Lansing MI

QUESTION:

I just received some Jack in The Pulpit corms. Which way is up; does the pointy thing go up or down? Thank you.

ANSWER:

It was quick and easy to find out the growing conditions and so forth from our Native Plant Database page on Arisaema triphyllum (Jack in the pulpit. From there, we learned in this USDA Plant Profile that it is native pretty well all over Michigan, including Ingham Co., in south central Michigan, USDA Hardiness Zones 5a to 5b. It was finding the answer to your question that was a neat trick. 

Finally, from the website The Primrose Path The Arisaema Triphyllum Complex  we found this one line:

"The plant overwinters as a corm with a smooth, rounded bottom and a pointed bud on top."

At the very bottom of that page, there is a picture. Hope that helps. 

Arisaema triphyllum

Arisaema triphyllum

Arisaema triphyllum

Arisaema triphyllum