Friday - March 12, 2010

From: Clearwater, FL
Title: What kind of alcohol to use with Passiflora seeds?

QUESTION:

Hi, I read a question and answer related to gernmination of passiflora incarnata. You recommended a 5% alcohol/water solution to soak the seeds prior to sowing. I just want to make sure that you are talking about drinking alcohol as opposed to rubbing alcohol. What type of drinking alcohol do you recommend? Rum? Beer? Wine? I have some new seeds, and I am ready to get started. Thanks!

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants likes the way you think! 

However, in the case of seed preparation, we are indeed talking about rubbing alcohol or isopropyl alcohol.  A weak, 5% solution of alcohol is used to dissolve certain seedcoat constituents that delay seed germination.  You could experiment with differnent concentrations, different lengths of time soaking in solution and different kinds of alcohol to determine which treatment works best for you.

Now, if you'll excuse me, it's happy hour...