Mr. Smarty Plants - Source for Ashe Juniper seeds from Blanco Co., TX

Monday - March 10, 2014

From: Johnson City, TX
Topic: Propagation, Seeds and Seeding, Trees
Title: Source for Ashe Juniper seeds from Blanco Co., TX

QUESTION:

I'm trying to find Ashe Juniper seeds to plant in bare areas of my property in central Texas. I understand they grow well in rockier soil and have many other benefits for native animal species. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate any vendor of the seeds. Do you know where I might find some?

ANSWER:

We have had a recent question from someone in Bastrop Co. seeking to get rid of their Juniperus ashei (Ashe juniper), because they felt it took up too much water. We suggest you read this previous answer and see what you may be up against if you pursue your project. If you follow this plant link, Juniperus ashei (Ashe juniper), you will find several pieces of information that should be of interest to you, including:

"Though a fragrant, evergreen, and picturesque tree, Ashe Juniper pollen, like that of many junipers, is very irritating to people with cedar allergies, so where the tree occurs in large concentrations, as in central Texas, it often becomes hated and targeted for removal, with various, sometimes invented, rationalizations given for doing so."

"Growing Conditions

Water Use: Low
Light Requirement: Part Shade
Soil Moisture: Dry
Soil Description: Rocky, well-drained soils. Limestone-based, Sandy, Sandy Loam, Medium Loam, Clay Loam, Clay
Conditions Comments: Texas madrone, Texas smoke tree, silk-tassel tree, cedar sage, and zexmenia germinate and grow well beneath ashe juniper, refuting the rumor that nothing grows under these trees. Ashe juniper is immune to cedar-apple rust. It invades disturbed sites."

"Propagation

Propagation Material: Seeds
Description: Seed can be sown outdoors in fall or stratified and sown in spring. Seed germination is often poor, so a large quantity of seeds should be sown.
Seed Collection: Collect seeds from late summer through fall when it has turned its ripe color. Seed can be extracted by running the fruits through a macerator. Thoroughly dry and clean seeds to avoid mold and overheating. If not planting immediately, air dry before storing. Store in sealed containers at 20-40 degrees.
Seed Treatment: Stratify at 41 degrees for 30-120 days."

Here is another previous answer, this one also on propagating Juniperus ashei (Ashe juniper). And, from Texas A&M AgriLIFE Extension, an article on Biology and Ecology of Ashe Juniper, which has an extensive discussion of seeds and propagation.

Beyond that, we found no commercial source for the seeds. Apparently, you can gather some of the blue "berries" and remove the seeds from them, as you see above in "Seed Collection. Beyond that, we're stumped. We really hate that.

Ashe juniper
Juniperus ashei

Ashe juniper
Juniperus ashei

Ashe juniper
Juniperus ashei

Ashe juniper
Juniperus ashei

Ashe juniper
Juniperus ashei

Ashe juniper
Juniperus ashei