Tuesday - April 12, 2005

From: Yoakum, TX
Title: Smarty Plants on Rain-lily
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

What is the common lily (I think) that grows in the ditches and especially this year because of all the rain. The flower is trumpet shaped and has red stripes in the petals? Very common everywhere there is water. It is not the spider lily. Looks like an Amaryllis.

ANSWER:

You are probably seeing the Rain-lily (Cooperia pedunculata). If our picture doesn't match what you are seeing, please send us a digital photo and we will identify the plant. Please visit the Ask the Expert page for instructions on how to submit a digital image.

Prairie lily
Cooperia pedunculata