Saturday - April 21, 2012

From: Royse City, TX
Topic: Plant Laws, Wildflowers
Title: Legal to mow wildflowers in HOA in Royse City, TX

QUESTION:

We live out in the country in Rockwall County, Texas. Is it legal to mow the wildflowers on our 2 acre lots? The HOA documents we committed to require the homesites to be maintained, but there is disagreement if wildflowers (non-Blubonnets)are protected or not. Please help us. Thank you!

ANSWER:

We can safely tell you we know of no state laws that mandate mowing or not mowing wildflowers. On the other hand, as you say, you have committed to following the HOA rules. If there are no legal restrictions one way or the other, you are probably stuck with mowing when the HOA says to. Your best bet is to contact the managing group of the HOA and raise the question, based on the fact that preservation of native wildflowers is very important, and avoiding mowing until seeds have dropped will permit the continuation of those wildflowers.

Just in case there are some local or county rules, or even rules from the Highway Department, that might alter the situation, we suggest you contact the Texas AgriLife Extension Service for Rockwall County.