En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Is crape myrtle deer resistant

Sunday - June 22, 2008

From: Cherry Hill, NJ
Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Is crape myrtle deer resistant

QUESTION:

Is Crape Myrtle deer resistant?

ANSWER:

First of all, Lagoertroemia indica (crape myrtle) is an introduced plant from Asia and is not a plant native to North America. Since what we are all about here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is "to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes", Mr. Smarty Plants hopes you will consider a native tree rather than crape myrtle. You can see a list of Recommended Species for New Jersey. This a list of "Commercially available native plant species suitable for planned landscapes in New Jersey". You can also find a list of native "Deer Resistant" plants.

Now to answer you specific question, Rutgers University New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station's Landscape Plants Rated by Deer Resistance says the crape myrtle (Lagerstroemia indica) is "seldom severely damaged".