Mr. Smarty Plants - Protecting guavas from deer

Monday - August 06, 2007

Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Protecting guavas from deer

QUESTION:

I have large guavas that the deer love to tear up rubbing their new antlers. When do I need to re-cover the plants with anti-deer nets to be sure to get ahead of them? One night too late and they are destroyed.

ANSWER:

Deer begin to shed the "velvet" on their antlers in mid- to late-September or even early October in your area. The white-tail deer rut begins around October 1st and continues until around mid January. You should not have a problem if you begin protecting your susceptible plants in early September and continue protecting them through the duration of the rut.