En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Does Monarda citriodora, lemon beebalm, self-fertilize?

Sunday - March 09, 2008

From: Kerrville, TX
Title: Does Monarda citriodora, lemon beebalm, self-fertilize?
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

Does Monarda citriodora produce its seeds from cleistogamous flowers? Thank you

ANSWER:

Cleistogamy or automatic self-pollination describes the trait of certain plants to reproduce by using non-opening self-pollinating flowers. Mr. Smarty Plants could find no evidence that Monarda citriodora (lemon beebalm) produces seeds from cleistogamous flowers. If you look closely at the blossoms you will see that they are quite open and attract bees and butterflies. Plants for a Future says that it is "self-fertile" or that the flowers are capable of pollinating themselves but that is commonly referred to as being self compatible, not clestogamous.

Monarda citriodora