A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Kerrville, TX
What are the native plants in Kerrville, Texas?

Kerrville, TX
Evergreen plant with berries for wildlife
We live in central Texas and I am attempting to plant for wildlife. Could you suggest an evergreen, approximately 3-4 feet tall, that would have berries for the birds in the Fall and winter? The pla...

Kerrville, TX
Need help with pruning my Anacacho Orchid tree.
We have an Anacacho Orchid Tree which has done so well in its location that we will need to prune it back. Please advise how much we can prune it and what time of year to do so. Thank you

Kerrville, TX
Transplant rootbound tree now from Kerrville TX
I purchased a Blanco Crabapple tree. Should I plant it now or wait until Fall? (It is currently rootbound.) Second question: Our Mountain Laurel has a dead trunk and one trunk has already died. I c...

Kerrville, TX
When and how to mow native grass in Texas
We live on a ranch near Kerrville. The grass is sparse KR, purple three-awn and some Texas wintergrass. How and when is the best way and time to mow this native grass?

Kerrville, TX
Pruning drought-stressed butterfly plants from Kerrville TX
Due to the drought, our butterfly bushes have dead branches. Ordinarily we prune the dormant plants in winter, but can we cut back dead branches now?

Kerrville, TX
Rows of red, white and blue flowers in Kerrville, TX
I have 1/3 acre project on the Guadalupe river in Kerrville Tx. I want to plant 3 rows, of red, white and blue flowers that are at best deer resistant. I have added 84 yards of lake btms (Ingram Lake...

Kerrville, TX
Problems with Cedar Elm in Kerrville TX
We live in 10 miles outside Kerrville - have a Cedar Elm tree - planted 4 or 5 years ago, 15-20 foot high, is losing leaves in the top 1/4th. Rest of leaves look healthy and green.

Kerrville, TX
Deer resistant, shade tolerant foundation plants for Kerrville TX
I'm looking for foundation plants for shade that are deer resistant. Tall as well as medium height.

Kerrville, TX
Salvia farinacea and rust fungus from Kerrville TX
Are Henry Duelberg salvias (Salvia farinacea)susceptible to rust fungus?

kerrville, TX
Need a native vine to grow on a fence next to a horse pasture in Kerrville, TX.
I have a wooden fence between my yard and the horse pasture. I would like to plant a native Texas vine (grapevine, honeysuckle, etc.) to cover the fence that will be evergreen and showy, but one that ...

Kerrville, TX
Desert Willow and Orchid tree with no upper leaves from Kerrville TX
I have two 5 year old Desert Willows planted in my yard. This year only one has leaved out and blooming. The other is bare but the branches are not dead and it has new growth at the bottom. Do you kno...

Kerrville, TX
Kerrville Soil for Vegetables
We are moving to our vacation home in Kerrville, TX and plan on putting in a vegetable garden on the sunny north side of our house. I'm assuming that your answer to the person inquiring about "soil...

Kerrville, TX
complete list of Central Texas edible plants
Hello! I have been searching for a complete list of Texas Hill Country Native Edibles (for humans) without much luck. Do you know of a good source? Thanks so much for your hard work! Steph

Kerrville, TX
Search for Texas barberry (Mahonia swaseyi) for sale
Do you know where I can purchase a Texas Barberry (Berberis swaseyi, Texas Mahonia) plant? I live in the Texas hill country. Thanks

Kerrville, TX
Will Pavonia lasiopetala grow in Oklahoma from Kerrville Tx
How successfully could I grow Pavonia lasiopetala in central Oklahoma? My research shows that it is not native to Oklahoma.

Kerrville, TX
Soil improvement near Kerrville, TX
We live in the Kerrville area; the soil is extremely shallow and deficient. The yard consists of mainly native plants, with a concentration of plants for butterflies and birds. What kind of soil and ...

Kerrville, TX
Fast-growing, deer resistant native plants for Kerrville, TX
I'm looking for a plant that will spread quickly and thickly on a very steep slope. The area to be covered is 60'long x 5'high and is crumbly limestone with full sun and very dry. We have a large...

Kerrville, TX
Seeds of Castilleja purpurea
The seed photo for Castilleja purpurea is incorrect; seeds are black and poppyseed size.

Kerrville, TX
Need suggestions for native grasses to stabilize hillside Kerrville, TX.
We have a steep slope at the back of our property in "caleche" territory in Kerrville. It is about 80 feet wide by 40 feet and ends at a wash. It is outside of our fenced yard and we are in city lim...

Kerrville, TX
Huisache tree is not thriving in Kerr County, TX.
Our landscaper planted a Huisache tree in our back yard (Kerr County). It was planted about 3 years ago. It has grown considerably (about 15 feet tall)but it has never flowered and is always late in...