Mr. Smarty Plants - Source for Bumelia lanuginosa in Kansas

Saturday - August 18, 2007

From: Manhattan, KS
Title: Source for Bumelia lanuginosa in Kansas

QUESTION:

Do you know of a source of Bumelia lanuginosa? I would like to include it in a future landscape construction project on the Kansas State University campus.

ANSWER:

On the USDA Plants Databse you can see the states where Sideroxylon lanuginosum, gum bumelia (syn. Bumelia lanuginosa) is native. The variety found in Kansas is Sideroxylon lanuginosum ssp. oblongifolium (gum bully). You can visit our National Suppliers Directory to look for nurseries in your area that specialize in native plants. Mr. Smarty Plants did a quick preliminary search of the nurseries in Kansas, but since none of them had a web page Mr. SP didn't pursue the list further. With a telephone call you might find that it is available at one of them. However, Mr. SP did find one supplier in Wichita Falls, Texas, Wichita Valley Landscape that has Bumelia lanuginosa in its stocklist of native trees.