En EspaÑol

Monday - March 21, 2011

From: Georgetown, TX
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Wildflower Center
Title: Will Copper Canyon Daisy be at the Plant Sale from Georgetown TX

Can you find out if Copper Canyon Daisy will be sold at the plant sale? I'm having trouble finding it in any of your databases. The scientific name is Asteraceae Tagetes lemmonii. It's a shrubby plant that blooms in November and attracts lots of butterfliess. Mine died after 10 years, really miss it.

From a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer

"Copper Canyon daisy or Mexican bush marigold, Tagetes lemmonii, mistaken by many to be a Texas native, is actually native to Arizona, Mexico and Central America. Being a day-length sensitive plant, Copper Canyon daisy flowers only when the days get short enough to initiate the flowering response in the plant. It is what is commonly referred to as a "short-day" plant."

Since the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is in Central Texas, we sell only plants native to Central Texas. Sorry.