A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Georgetown, TX
Source of Pectis angustifolia from Georgetown TX
You answered an earlier question about Limoncillo (Pectis angustifolia) by saying you had found a source for these seeds in Santa Fe, but the hyperlink was inoperable. I'd like to try to propogate t...

Georgetown, TX
Vine to cover concrete retaining wall in Georgetown TX
I have an unsightly concrete retaining wall and culvert covers that require fast coverage from a vine of some sort. The plant must be deer resistant and drought tolerant. The retaining wall and culv...

GEORGETOWN, TX
Deer eating Non-native Asiatic Jasmine in Georgetown, TX
Is there a spray or granular material that will prevent deer from eating asiatic jasmine?

Georgetown, TX
Identification of daisy-like yellow flower
Georgetown, TX - I have two flowers blooming in my field that I can't identify. One is strong gold and the other strong orange. I cannot identify the leaf pad. There are no leaves on the stem which...

Georgetown, TX
Caterpillars feeding on Phacelia congesta
Can you tell me which caterpillars can be found on Phacelia congesta in Bell County?

Georgetown, TX
Difference in acorn yields from Georgetown TX
Why do some live oaks produce acorns in abundance and others do not?

Georgetown, TX
Are Verbena Annuals Deer Resistant?
Are Verbena Estrella Pink Star annuals deer resistant?

Georgetown, TX
Replacements for yuccas from Georgetown TX
I have lost some softleaf and variegated yucca to a beetle grub destroying the root system - like the Agave snout beetle does. I have put an insecticidal drench on my remaining plants, but suspect wi...

Georgetown, TX
Species of hackberry best for wildlife from Georgetown, TX
Which species of Hackberry tree is the best for wildlife in Georgetown, TX (just north of Austin)? Your Plant Database says Celtis occidentals is "among the BEST food and shelter plants for wildlife,...

Georgetown, TX
Mountain Laurels are dying in Georgetown, TX.
Ten year old Mountain Laurels both last year and this spring have had entire branches turn brown just after blooming this Feb. Round Rock Arborist suggested I contact you. Last year one of my laurels...

Georgetown, TX
Anacacho orchid not leafing out in Georgetown TX
February 2012 I planted 2 4-ft anacacho orchids which did well. This spring, they have yet to leaf out or even bud. There is green, however, when I scratch the stems and some suckers at the bottom of ...

Georgetown, TX
Is Ruellia aggressive?
Is Ruellia aggressive?

Georgetown, TX
Male and female possumhaws for berries from Georgetown TX
Do I need to plant two ilex decidua (possumhaws), a male and female to have red berries on the tree in the winter?

Georgetown, TX
Blue Mist Ageratum Shrub?
Is there a shrub version of Blue Mistflower Ageratum? I believe we saw some at the Butterfly Center in MacAllen. Would it survive in Georgetown, TX?

Georgetown, TX
Plants to grow between patio pavers
We'd like to use poured concrete pavers for a deck. What grows well, whether it be grass or other, between these. We'll have 4-6" between 4 foot pavers. And would love to find something that does...

Georgetown, TX
Using Sound to Repel Deer
We have several motion activated water scarecrows for deer intrusions and have heard about sound scarecrows. Do you know if they are effective and do they bother pets such as cats, birds, etc.?

Georgetown, TX
Vinegar as a Herbicide
When can you use vinegar on weeds to get rid of them.

Georgetown, TX
Mowing frequency of native lawn from Georgetown TX
I have a native grass and wildflower lawn. At what frequency and when should the lawn be mowed?

Georgetown, TX
Plants for Georgetown with shade in the AM and sun in the PM
Hi, I live in Georgetown and I would like a recommendation for plants (shrubs and flowering perennials) that can handle deep shade until 1 or 2 pm and then have full sun blasting them til sun down. T...

Georgetown, TX
Location of Alamo fungicide kit from Georgetown TX
Where can I buy the Alamo fungicide injection kit shown in the oak wilt video?

Georgetown, TX
Dead leaves on yucca in Georgetown TX
We have 2 6ft and 3 smaller soft leaf yuccas out back in a kidney shaped area with a wax myrtle and a mountain laurel. The yuccas have done great but now two of them have a large number of dead leaves...