Monday - August 30, 2010

From: Scenery Hill, PA
Title: Where can I find a pignut hickory tree to plant in Scenery Hill, PA?

QUESTION:

Where can I buy Pignut Hickory tree, 10', B&B?

ANSWER:

The pignut Hickory Carya glabra (pignut hickory) is one of the most common hickories in the southern Appalachians and an important timber source there, its wood is made into tool handles and skis. (more images)

There are two strategies for finding one for sale. The first is to go to our National Suppliers Directory  and enter your city and state in the appropriate box and click go.  This brings up a rather short list, but clicking on FInd more nurseries at the bottom of the list can expand  it. I found that Musser Forests, Inc. has only 1 and 2  year old seedlings for sale, however their contact information is there so that you could inquire about larger trees.

The other strategy is to go to the Plant Native web site to find a list of native plant nurseries in Pennsylvania. Skiming through the list, i found that Yellow Springs Farms Nursery  in Chester Springs sells the Pignut Hickory trees, but they seem to be located a little far from you.