Thursday - April 19, 2007

From: Driftwood, TX
Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Deer resistant, sun tolerant plants for landscaping

QUESTION:

I live in Driftwood and am looking for flowering, deer-resistant plants for the northern side of my house; however the house turn just enough to the west that the flowerbed receives about 3 hours of afternoon sun (just enough to really cook them about August). Do you have any suggestions?

ANSWER:

Here are several colorful bloomers that are deer resistant and thrive in full sun. Please realize that in times of environmental stress when food supplies are low, deer may eat plants that they normally would not bother. There are very few, if any, deer proof plants.

Capsicum annuum (cayenne pepper)

Lantana urticoides (Texas lantana)

Mahonia trifoliolata (agarita)

Salvia greggii (autumn sage)

Chrysactinia mexicana (damianita)

Melampodium leucanthum (plains blackfoot)

Salvia engelmannii (Engelmann's sage)

Salvia farinacea (mealycup sage)

Salvia coccinea (blood sage)