Mr. Smarty Plants - Deer resistance of non-native Leyland Cypress from Kerrville TX

Saturday - April 19, 2014

From: Kerrville, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Deer Resistant, Trees
Title: Deer resistance of non-native Leyland Cypress from Kerrville TX

QUESTION:

Are Leyland cypress deer resistant?

ANSWER:

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is committed to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which those plants are to be grown; in your case, Kerr County TX. Please read this previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer to help you understand why it is not in our database or area of expertise. For more information on this plant, here is an article from Clemson University on Leyland Cypress Alternatives.

In response to your specific question, we do have a list of deer-resistant plants, but since all our information has to do with native plants, the Leyland Cypress would not appear. Checking the Internet, we looked at a couple of lists of deer-resistant plants, Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station and Texas A&M AgriLIFE Extension, neither of which mentioned any cypress.