A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Driftwood, TX
Wildflower garden for Driftwood, TX
I would like to plant wildflowers in a fairly large field on a slope. The slope is a little rocky and is located in Driftwood, TX. I have been thinking about a mixture of Bluebonnets and Indian Blank...

Driftwood, TX
Name of algae on ground that swells after a rain
What is the name of the algae looking stuff on the ground that swells up after rain. I thought it was "nostock" but I can't locate that name anywhere. Thanks!

Driftwood, TX
Bees knees squeezing
Barbara, Do the knees of bees help them squeeze if they please their wobbly, bobbly, knobbly balls of pollen?

Driftwood, TX
Deer resistant, sun tolerant plants for landscaping
I live in Driftwood and am looking for flowering, deer-resistant plants for the northern side of my house; however the house turn just enough to the west that the flowerbed receives about 3 hours of a...

Driftwood, TX
Difference between live oaks and post oaks in Driftwood TX
What are the differences between Live Oaks and Post Oaks, and are both susceptible to Oak Wilt? Also, should we remove the Ball Moss on the branches of these trees? Or is the light green lichen on the...

Driftwood, TX
Use of cedar/juniper mulch in wildflower meadows
What to do with freshly shredded cedar/juniper mulch? We have a pile of freshly ground cedar mulch that we can either keep in a large pile until it has composted(but the neighbors are complaining), or...

Driftwood, TX
Use of chemicals for eradicating invasive plants
Re: Round Up We are extremely reluctant to use any chemical agents in our yard (or around our home) due to environmental & ecological reasons... However, we are becoming inundated with several ver...

Driftwood, TX
Non-native Lorapetalum chinense from Driftwood TX
In a previous response you said that it would not be wise to plant any trees with the word Chinese in it. Does this apply to Lorapetalum (Chinese Fringe Flower)? I would like to use this plant as a ...

Driftwood, TX
Flowers for an August wedding in Driftwood TX
For an August 4th wedding in Driftwood, Texas we want fragrant flowers and wildflowers that we can grow in our garden. We have four raised beds (12 ft. x 6 ft.) in a fenced area in which we've grown ...

Driftwood, TX
Native nectar plants for hummingbirds in Central Texas
Ref: Cen.Tx. Hummingbird plants I am seeking a list of appropriate plants with lots of nectar to attract hummingbirds in Central Texas. I live in Hays County between Kyle & Wimberley in a mostly ...

Driftwood, TX
Evergreen shrubs for screening in Hays County, Texas
Help! I bought 2 acres in Driftwood and built a small house. Last year, the neighbor moved in a dilapidated old mobile home right on the fence line and I feel all my peace is gone. What is the fast...

Driftwood, TX
Moths around Sophora secundiflora from Driftwood TX
Sophora secundiflora Our Mountain Laurel has a lot of large moths flying around it. Should we be concerned? Will they hurt the tree? thank you

Driftwood, TX
White flowering mountain laurel from Driftwood TX
I love white flowering mountain laurel (Sophora secundiflora) and want to grow one from seeds. I've had a lot of success germinating and growing purple mountain laurel from seeds (or beans), so I DO ...

Driftwood, TX
Non-native Crimson Clover coming up with bluebonnets in Driftwood TX
Is Crimson Clover considered invasive? We have some coming up in our field with our Bluebonnets.

Driftwood, TX
How to correct Anacacho leaves that are turning brown and curling in Driftwood, TX?
Anacacho lunarioides leaves are turning brown and curling,how do I correct?

Driftwood, TX
Decline of pollinating bees around Mexican plums
Dear Dr. Smarty Plants While out working in my yard (about nine miles southwest of the Wildfower Center) this morning, I became aware that there was no sound of bees buzzing. I checked our Mexica...

Driftwood, TX
Trees to replace live oaks in Driftwood TX
I am looking for ideas on what trees to plant in Driftwood, TX to replace live oaks that have been lost to oak wilt.

Driftwood, TX
Wax myrtle problems from Driftwood TX
We planted 27 wax myrtles on the perimeter of our property last year and were diligent about watering them throughout the drought. They are in very rocky soil (we had to use a jackhammer to dig the ho...

Driftwood, TX
When is the best time to trim oak trees in Driftwood TX?
When is the best time to trim oak trees?

Dripping Springs, TX
Weedy buffalo grass from Dripping Springs, TX
I have a buffalo grass lawn. It is thin and filled with weeds. I would like to find a solution to improve my lawn. I prefer a native grass but I need to be able to control the weeds and I am not ph...

Dripping Springs, TX
Germination and propagation of Carolina larkspur
I have some Delphinium carolinianum seeds and I am looking to germinate and propagate them. I threw some out on my caliche rubble Four years ago,and got one to germinate four years later. What time o...