Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of Diospyros texana at Enchanted Rock Park

Saturday - April 07, 2007

Title: Identification of Diospyros texana at Enchanted Rock Park
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

I took pictures last year in April of one particular large shrub in Enchanted Rock Park. The flowers are extremely fragrant, sort of cluster of tiny creamy white bell shaped. We came back this last week-end, the blooming was just coming, flowers were not open yet. I visited many web sites to try to find the name or a variety but I am still looking for the name of this shrub. They are numerous in this park of Texas. I can send you one picture to help you... but without the fragrance.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks your shrub is Diospyros texana (Texas persimmon). If this isn't the one you saw, please send us a photo and we will give it another try. Please see the lower right corner of the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page for instructions on sending photos for identification.

Diospyros texana

Diospyros texana

Diospyros texana