En EspaÑol

Friday - June 13, 2014

From: San Antonio, TX
Topic: Pests, Trees
Title: Problem with mesquite tree limbs

QUESTION:

i keep finding some smaller branches of my mesquite tree in the turf area around the tree. when looking at the cut ends, they appear to have a smooth cut around the circumference of the limb about 1/8 inch in depth and you can see where the center of the branch just broke off. is there an insect that attacks the tree branches in such a way? What if anything can i do to fix the problem. Thank you for your assistance

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants had a similar question from someone in Marble Falls, Texas several month ago.  Please read the answer to that question which applicable to your question; however, you should consult the Bexar County AgriLIFE Extension Agent (not the Burnet County one) for verification of the pest and recommendations for its control.