Monday - February 28, 2011

From: Pineville, LA
Title: Looking for a plant to use as a windbreak for a small orchard in Pineville LA.

QUESTION:

We are looking for a good plant to use as a wind break for our small fruit orchard.

ANSWER:

This is sort of a seasonal question since March is such a windy month in some places. Getting started now will have you on your way by next March.

I am providing several  links to articles with information about the use of windbreaks, their design, and the selection of plants. You can compare the plants that are listed for use with plants on our Recommended Species list for Pineville, Louisana to see which would be the best fit for your location.

Ohio Department of Natural Resources

Nebraska Forestry Service

USDA

University of Florida