En EspaÑol

From: Aliquippa , PA
Topic: Erosion Control, Shade Tolerant, Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs
Title: Erosion Control for a Shaded Slope in Aliquippa PA
Answered by: Larry Larson

QUESTION:

What plants. shrubs or trees can I plant to retard soil erosion on a steep shaded hillside in PA

ANSWER:

Mr Smarty Plants has found a few similar requests for help with erosion control for a steep slope in Pennsylvania.  As a general statement, we recommend clumping grasses and shrubs with extended root systems.  You will see that as a trend in the following question/answer pairs:

Plants for steep slope in Pittsburgh PA  

Ground cover for a bank in PA 

Deer resistant plants for Pittsburgh PA 

Plants for steep bank in Pennsylvania 

Deer-resistant plants for a steep hillside in Allison Park PA 

Native plants for erosion control in sun in Canton PA

Reviewing the information in these, here are a few suggestions for suitable grasses and shrubs. I've also taken note of their sunlight requirements.

Grasses

Schizachyrium scoparium (Little bluestem)  partial shade

Sorghastrum nutans (Indiangrass)  partial or full shade

Andropogon gerardii (Big bluestem)  partial shade

Carex texensis (Texas sedge)  partial shade

Elymus canadensis (Canada wild rye)  Partial shade

Seven others are mentioned in the referenced discussions.

SHRUBS/HERBS

Monarda fistulosa (Wild bergamot)  partial shade

Phlox subulata (Creeping phlox)  partial shade

Amelanchier stolonifera (Running serviceberry)  sun, partial shade or shade

Rhus aromatica (Fragrant sumac)  partial shade, shade

Phlox divaricata (Wild blue phlox)  partial shade, shade

Six more are recommended as before.  Take note of the methods and reasoning in those discussions.

Little bluestem

Indiangrass
Sorghastrum nutans

Big bluestem
Andropogon gerardii

Texas sedge
Carex texensis

Canada wild rye
Elymus canadensis

Wild bergamot
Monarda fistulosa

Creeping phlox
Phlox subulata

Running serviceberry
Amelanchier stolonifera

Fragrant sumac
Rhus aromatica

Wild blue phlox
Phlox divaricata