Thursday - April 17, 2014

From: Gulfport, MS
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Vines
Title: Ivy a suitable ground cover in Live Oaks from Gulfport MS

QUESTION:

Will Ivy be a safe and suitable ground cover for old growth Live Oak trees in coastal Mississippi?

ANSWER:

We are assuming you are referring to English Ivy, which is both non-native to North America and invasive. Here is an article about Hedera helix (English Ivy) that we hope will help to convince you not to plant it, because once you plant it, you HAVE it and it won't go away. Regardless of its name, it is native to most of Europe and western Asia and most invasive.

If you will forgive us for being more than a little lazy today (Spring Fever), we would like to link you to some previous Mr. Smarty Plants answers dealing with this subject.

Davidsonville GA

McLean VA