Mr. Smarty Plants - When should I plant bermuda grass seeds?

Wednesday - February 10, 2010

From: Center Point, TX
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: When should I plant bermuda grass seeds?

QUESTION:

When should I plant bermuda grass seeds?

ANSWER:

Never! 

Cynodon dactylon (bermudagrass) is an invasive species from Africa and soon takes over lawns, flower beds, etc., and is very difficult to eliminate once established.  You can read the advice about its control from the University of California's Integrated Pest Management Program.   Instead of bermudagrass, why not consider the native lawn grass mixture that our researchers at the Wildflower Center have found to be the most effective. This mixture uses less water, requires little or no mowing, and is better at keeping out weeds than bermudagrass.  The mixture consists of Bouteloua dactyloides (buffalograss), Bouteloua gracilis (blue grama) and Hilaria belangeri (curly-mesquite).  Our How to Article: Native Lawns tells you how to prepare the soil, how to sow the seeds and how to maintain a native lawn.  Two seed companies, Native American Seeds and King Seeds, have the seeds available.  Native America Seeds also has an excellent article, Planting Tips for Native Grasses, to help you be successful in getting your lawn established.

Bouteloua dactyloides

Bouteloua dactyloides

Bouteloua gracilis

Hilaria belangeri