Gulfport, MS
Non-native invasive Chocolate Mimosa in Gulfport MS
Another Mimosa Question: I have a newly planted chocolate mimosa; it has a single, 7 ft spindly trunk with approximately a 3 ft canopy. I'm afraid that its girth will not withstand much in terms of...

Gulfport, MS
Ivy a suitable ground cover in Live Oaks from Gulfport MS
Will Ivy be a safe and suitable ground cover for old growth Live Oak trees in coastal Mississippi?

Gulfport, MS
Can non-native guavas be successfully moved from Gulfport MS?
Can guavas be moved successfully from one established planted location to another? My mother is having to relocate due to MDOT and we would like to move her established guavas. Thank you,

Biloxi, MS
Federal database on use of wildflowers
Recently read about wedding planned to reduce typical costs AND "go green." One action the bridal party took was to decorate with wildflowers. I was appalled. So, my question, because apparently..my...

Ocean Springs, MS
Pruning of non-native Senna bicapsularis from Ocean Springs MS
I have 4 Senna plants (cassia bicapsularis) that I planted late last spring. They about 3-4 feet tall but are very gangly with leaves at or near the tips only. How should I prune them to encourage g...

Vancleave, MS
Plant identification, Chinese Lantern
I have a plant growing along my fenceline that I am unsure of what it is. Some ppl have said it is a rare Chinese Lantern plant. I looked that up and it doesn't match. The plant right now sits about ...

Pascagoula, MS
Crown rot in Agave americana
My Century Plant's leaves get soft toward the base and eventually fall over and I have to cut them off. What causes this?

Moss Point, MS
Living blooming plants for November wedding in Austin
I am an environmental educator whose daughter is getting married in Austin in November. I would like to use living blooming native plants as decorations and then donate them to a local school to plan...

Picayune, MS
Identification of plant with light orange fruit
Trying to identify a small, light orange, oval shaped fruit,light yellow/beige inside, many seeds, vine w/briars, behind an outbuilding in McNeill, MS. tks

Brooklyn, MS
Restoring a slope in the Mississippi sandhill region
We are building on 5 acres (leaving 60% as is, natural). Only building a small (900-1200 sq ft house) & clearing 1 acre of the valley for a pond. There is a steep slope (where we had to put field dra...

Theodore, AL
Identification of tall plant with five-petaled purple flowers
I recently moved into a house and have a plant near my fence that has purple flowers with five petals and a somewhat thick stem, about a half inch. The leaves are sparse and it grows about four to si...

Semmes, AL
Wildflower meadow in Mobile, AL
I live in Mobile, Alabama. I have 1 acre of land that is partially shaded and covered with centipede yard grass. I would like to completely get rid of all the grass and replace the whole acre with wil...

Semmes, AL
Problems with crossvine from Semmes AL
I have a 3 year old cross vine (tangerine beauty) and the leaves have started turning black and falling off the plant. I have two plants growing on the same pergola (opposite ends) and the second plan...

Mandeville, LA
Black Walnut tree in LA
I was just given a black walnut tree and am trying to determine where to place it. I’ve read on your site that “Certain plants will not grow under Black Walnut trees because of the juglones that the ...

Covington, LA
Possibility of saving hurricane-damaged Umbrella Magnolia
Our beautiful umbrella magnolia Magnoliaceae Magnolia tripetala was toppled during Hurricane Katrina. We have lifted it back in place, however it looks very distressed. I have the following questions:...

Covington, LA
Native grasses for wildlife in Katrina recovery area of Louisiana
I live in La in an area decimated by Katrina and want to establish 11 acres of wildlife friendly native short grasses. It is partly designated wetlands because it floods, but also has long periods wi...

New Orleans, LA
More on bluebonnets
We would like to know if the bluebonnet wildflowers are suitable for New Orleans and, if so, which months should they be seeded. Otherwise what can you suggest for our humid climate. We like blue, lav...

New Orleans, LA
Grafting Shumard Oak to Decrease Acorn Bearing Age in New Orleans
Can a Shumard Oak that is bearing acorns (30 yrs. old)be grafted to a seedling in order to decrease the bearing of the tree in a similar manner as grafting pecan trees? Can it be propagated by any me...

New Orleans, LA
Is Florida anisetree appropriate for school planting in New Orleans?
Illicium floridanum, Florida anisetree We are considering using this plant for a landscape at a school. I have been informed that it is poisonous, but not by a reliable source. I am otherwise very...

New Orleans, LA
Wildflower seeding for hurricane-damaged areas of New Orleans
I need some information. I am going to be traveling to New Orleans in two weeks to visit a relative. They are in an area that was decimated by the hurricane. Though they have rebuilt the neighborho...

New Orleans, LA
Acacia tree that will grow in Louisiana
Please tell me if there are any Acacia Trees that will grow in direct sun in Louisiana. I really want to plant some from seeds but don't which to get for zone 8. Thank you Mr Smarty Plants